Join SACEA Today
Excerpt from the SACEA Constitution
- Membership of the Association shall consist of Full members, Affiliate members, Student members, Honorary Life members, and Retired members
- Full Member: Full Membership shall be confined to Engineers who hold the Electrical and / or Mechanical Certificate of Competency, or other acceptable qualifications, working on a colliery or in the coal mining industry and whose membership would be of benefit to the Association and is acceptable to Council.
- Affiliate Member: Affiliate Membership shall be confined to persons who may or may not be the holder of an Electrical or Mechanical Certificate of Competency or other acceptable qualification whose membership would be of benefit to the Association and is acceptable to Council. Affiliate Members will not have voting rights.
- Student Member: Graduates and diplomats employed on collieries as Junior Engineers or Engineers – in – Training will be eligible for Student Membership. A Student Member must be sponsored by a Full Member and be acceptable to Council. Student Members will not have voting rights.
- Retired Member: Any member who retires from the Mining Industry due to age or incapacitation shall subject to Council approval, be eligible to Retired Membership of the Association. Retired Members will not have any voting rights.
- Honorary Life Member: The Council may elect any member to Honorary Life Membership of the Association who has served the Association with distinction. Honorary Members will not have voting rights. Nominations for Honorary Life Membership shall be made to Council and be approved by a three-fourths majority of Council members.
- The annual subscription for all categories of members, shall be determined by Council and shall be payable in advance on receipt of invoice.
- Application for admission to membership shall be made on the prescribed form, to Council for approval. The proposer is to verify that the information submitted is correct. Applications for Full Membership is to include a copy of the Certificate of Competency.
- Council is to be informed of any member’s change in job status, which may affect his class of membership.
- Subscriptions shall not be returned to members under any circumstances.
- Any member failing to pay his subscription within eight months from date of invoice and after due notice shall have his name erased from the list of members, whereupon he shall cease to be a member of the Association. The Council shall have the power to restore such persons to all privileges or membership on payment of all arrears.
- Membership is limited to individuals.
- Any member may resign from membership by giving notice in writing to the Secretary of his / her intention to do so.
- Any member, who, for any reason at any time ceases to hold the qualifications of membership laid down in these rules, shall thereupon cease to be a member of the Association.
- Upon evidence satisfying the members of Council that any member has been guilty of an offence which renders him / her unfit to be a member, the Council shall have the right with the approval of at least two-thirds of those present at any Council meeting of the Association to expel such member from the Association, whereupon his name shall be removed from the list of members. Any member so expelled shall have no claim whatsoever on the Association. Any member whose conduct is being enquired into in terms of this rule, shall be entitled to produce and call witnesses on his / her behalf.
- No member shall, in the name of the Association, publish or give his consent to the publication of any papers submitted, statements or communication made to the Association without the consent of the Council acting for the Association. In urgent cases the President may in his discretion give such consent, subject to the matter being reported, in writing, to the next Council meeting.
- The Opencast Users Committee, Underground Users Committee, Plant Users Committee and any other committee acting on behalf of S.A.C.E.A. shall ensure that all meeting / business records are forwarded to Council for information.
- In the event of the Association being wound up, no liability shall be incurred by any member other than in respect of his unpaid subscriptions, and any other money he may then owe to the Association.
- Each member shall furnish the Secretary in writing with an address to which notices and other matters may be sent. Any change of address shall be notified immediately in writing to the Secretary.
How to join the Association?
1. Download and fill out the Membership Application Form
Please read through the Membership Application Form carefully and complete each field as comprehensively as possible. A copy of the SACEA Constitution is available for download, it is recommend that you read through it before completing the form.
2. Submit the Form
After completing your Membership Application Form, submit the form via email to the SACEA Secretary using the following information:
Raymond van der Berg
Subject: SACEA Membership Application
3. Await feedback from the SACEA Secretary
A representative from the Mines Professional Association’s will contact you, once your form has been thoroughly evaluated and deemed acceptable.